Thursday, September 27, 2007

Summary: Glen Vawdrey

To All Highland Residents,
I have had the privilege of living in Highland for the past 18 years. Along with my wife Laurie to whom I have been married for 28 years, we have had the opportunity to raise six children in this wonderful location that we call home. I can't think of a better place on earth to raise a family than here in Highland. We truly love this city and have never considered leaving.
I feel that I am qualified in many ways to serve on city council. For four years I served on the board for Highland Baseball with the responsibility of being over the Major League. I have also served for seven years on the Planning Commission and the last four years as a City Councilman.
There are several reasons that I am seeking re-election. The most important to me is the preservation of the rural atmosphere that we experience here in Highland. When you enter our city you can feel that it is different. I believe that the large lots and the abundance of parks and open space is what brings good people here to live.
Another reason that I am running, is to finish some of the projects that are close to completion. We as a city need to do more for our recreation programs. There is no place in Highland for our teams to play football, girl's softball, or Pony League baseball. We also need to provide more fields for soccer, baseball, lacrosse, and other sports. Some of the smaller parks in the open space subdivisions are being used for purposes that were not intended when they were developed. With limited parking and very close neighbors, these were never meant to be used for soccer games or any other organized sport. We must finish the sports facilities that have been planned so that we don't have to rely on other cities to fulfill our recreation needs.
As far as commercial property, I feel that with the addition of Highland Marketplace, there is no need for more commercial property. The last thing I want to see is strip malls down our major highways. Let's keep Highland what it is, a premiere residential community, and prepare for the good people that will be coming.
In summary; we know that continued growth is inevitable, and though we aren't going to stop it, we can manage it in a way that Highland will not lose what we have fought so hard to keep. And though I can't take credit for what Highland is today, I feel that I have played a part, along with many others, to make this a wonderful place to live.
I feel that I have represented the majority of the citizens in Highland very well during the past four years. If you have any questions about my feelings or where I stand on an issue, please feel free to call or send me an e-mail.
Sincerely,

Glen Vawdrey
gvawdrey@juno.com or
gvawdrey@comcast.net
801.756.7490

No comments: