Thursday, September 27, 2007

Summary: Steve King

I would like to thank all of those who elected me four years ago and for the opportunity to serve as one of your city council members. It has been an honor and a privilege I never thought I would have. As I have traveled to sites around Highland doing my research on agenda items that I have the duty to vote on, I have met many citizens who have thanked me for "going above and beyond "with my dedication as a council member. It has been a sacrifice to serve the past four years on council but it is a sacrifice that I very willing to do for four more years. There are many issues I still feel strongly about and I would be pleased to serve the city and it's citizens for four more years.

I would like to clear up one misconception I am hearing about my stand on a library in Highland. I am FOR a library in Highland. I voted against a property tax increase on Aug 15, 2007 not against a library. I promised our citizens four years ago, especially our seniors on fixed incomes, I would only raise taxes for the most basic government needs (ex.-Police, Fire, EMS, Roads, Culinary and PI Water systems, and city staff.) I am for small government. My promise and integrity are something I will not trade for votes. I hope the efforts of the library committee will produce a superior library congruent with the high standards Highland is known for.

Please contact me personally at home (763-0232) or e-mail at ajssking1@msn.com and allow ME to explain my stand on any issue that concerns you. Thanks Steve King

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate and sincerely support Mr. King's stand that city government should provide the essentials and that anything more would be a violation of the public's trust. Although a library would be a nice thing, it is not necessary. We have other options and increasing taxes to provide for a very basic library system could put some people in difficult circumstances. It is unfair to do so. I applaud Mr. King for his integrity and in sticking to the commitment he made during the previous campaign. This is something I rarely see in government today!